Map Series

    City of Sydney – Civic Survey, 1938-1950

    24 maps
    Map 1 - Alexandria East Download
    Map 2 - Alexandria West Download
    Map 3 - Camperdown North Download
    Map 4 - Camperdown Download
    Map 5 - Chippendale Download
    Map 6 - Circular Quay, Dawes Point Download
    Map 7 - City Proper Download
    Map 8 - Darlington Download
    Map 9 - Erskineville Download
    Map 10 - Glebe East Download
    Map 11 - Glebe West Download
    Map 12 - Kings Cross, Potts Point Download
    Map 13 - Moore Park Download
    Map 14 - Newtown Download
    Map 15 - Paddington East Download
    Map 16 - Paddington West Download
    Map 17 - Pyrmont Download
    Map 18 - Redfern Download
    Map 19 - Rosebery Download
    Map 20 - Show Ground Area Download
    Map 21 - Surry Hills Download
    Map 22 - Ultimo, Haymarket Download
    Map 23 - Woolloomooloo Download
    Map 24 - Zetland Download

    City of Sydney – Civic Survey, 1938-1950

    The Civic Survey comprises a map of the City of Sydney in 24 sheets at a scale of 2 chains to the inch (1:1584). The sheets were prepared by staff of the City Engineer’s Department. The map dates from 1938-39 and 1948-50. The gap between these two periods is accounted for not by the intervening war years but by the expansion of the City of Sydney local government area from 1 January 1949. Between 1842 and 1949 the City’s boundaries had remained almost stationery, with the main exceptions being the absorption of the Moore Park area in 1870 and the incorporation of the Camperdown Municipal Council in 1908. Under the Local Government (Areas) Act 1948 – a scaled back attempt at large scale local government reform by the McKell government – the City absorbed a ring of surrounding municipalities: Paddington, Redfern, Alexandria, Waterloo, Erskineville, Newtown, Glebe, and Darlington. The map sheets originally created in 1938-39 therefore had to be extended to cover the new boundaries of the City, thus the original 12 sheets became 24. The Civic Survey appears to have been created as a town planning tool. The Council established a City Improvement and Planning Committee in 1936, and appointed a Town Planning Assistant (to the City Engineer) in 1938. The post-war sheets are marked as created by the Town Planning Branch of the City Engineer’s Department. Each map sheet shows streets and open spaces, with property boundaries and rudimentary building footprints. Heights of building (in storeys) are indicated. Street numbers are not always given. Contour lines are shown at five-foot intervals, information not usually found on maps of the City area.