The map shows the Municipality of The Glebe in 1888. It was lithographed by W.J. Banks and published by J.J. Byrne and Co, Surveyors and Draftsmen of Sydney, and used in the City Engineer’s Department for reference purposes. The map shows the outline of all brick buildings and is colour coded to identify if structures are brick, stone, wooden or iron. Survey details include annotations such as “very low ground” and land is shown divided into lots and estates, and includes the measurement of each street frontage. Streets, parks, paddocks, and Orphan School Creek are named. Buildings are named by function (factory, stable etc.), landowner (Marshall’s, J. Barnett, Doctor Monroe), Estate name (Toxteth, Allen), business name (Miss Walker’s Ladies Seminary), and in addition schools, churches and presbyteries are identified. A tanner, pottery and livery stables also appear on the map.