On 1 January 1949 the boundaries of the City of Sydney expanded to take in the neighbouring municipal councils of Glebe, Darlington, Newtown, Erskineville, Alexandria, Waterloo, Redfern and Paddington. This expansion took place in accordance with provisions in the Local Government (Areas) Act 1948. To effectively manage the enlarged area, and also to come to grips with new town planning responsibilities given to local government after 1945, the City of Sydney embarked on a project to make a detailed map of the whole area within the new boundaries. The City commissioned an aerial photogrammetric survey, which was flown on 15 December 1949 at 4800 feet by Adastra Photography. Using the aerial photographs as a basis, the staff of the City Building Surveyor’s department prepared a set of 27 detail sheets, plus a master sheet. Work was completed by about 1955. The detail sheets were regarded as a working document rather than a definitive plan of the City at a moment in time. As details on the ground changed, the corresponding detail sheet was redrawn to reflect this. Changes of land use, road realignments and new features were filled in, and previous details erased from the map. This process largely continued until the early 1970s. The result of this process is that the detail sheets, completed during the years 1949-1955, in fact show the City as it was by about 1949-1972.